Wednesday, December 27, 2017

December 27, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Brodie.

Brodie was a classmate of Ken's at U. of Toronto.  He and Ken could not have been more unlike both in their background and personalities.  But they were good friends.  He and his family were friends of mine too.  Brodie lived in residence downtown but his parents lived just north of 401 and he used his family home as a place to have parties.  His parents had emigrated to Canada from England before their 3 children were born and they lived in the same large home from the beginning.  Brodie was the youngest child.  Brodies father was a neurologist/psychiatrist.  And he was  eccentric, as was Brodie.  Getting to know that family was an eye opener as to how the other world lived.

Brodie was hosting a dinner party at his parents house.  I offered to go early to help.  I had been to their home many times so I knew his mother.  When I arrived, I asked to set the table.  I had no idea who had set up the tables but when I arrived all three tables were in place, along with white linen cloths.  The party was a seated party for 36.  Three tables were to be used, one in the enclosed glass porch, one in the living room and the dining room table.   Mrs. E. opened a buffet and lifted out a set of sterling silver, which I used.  I asked if we should use the stainless kitchen cutlery for the rest, but she quickly removed a second set of silver, which I used.  Then there was another.   I noticed yet another set in the buffet, that we did not need to use.  I had never seen so much sterling silver in one house in my life.  And we used the crystal and the good china.  Brodie had hired someone to come after the party so no cleanup was required.  All those years ago, when I was in my early 20's, I learned how to really throw a big party with all the fine objects.

Brodies parents lived 2 blocks north of highway 401.  The highway needed to be expanded so the government was busily buying the properties, including Brodies parents home.  But the father would not sell, even though the price for the sale kept going up.  Finally, every other house between them and the 401 had been bulldozed, yet they still stayed.  Then the construction began and it became difficult to access the house.  And there were no street lights.  Brodies parents were not young.  Finally, the 3 children sat down with the father and convinced him to take the offer.  But the father was not pleased.  We did have one final party at the house but parking was difficult due to all the mud.  Watching the whole story which took over 2 years was interesting.  I was always grateful for knowing Brodie and his family.

No comments: