Saturday, December 23, 2017

December 23, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Harold Arlen.

"Over The Rainbow,"  "Stormy Weather,"  "One For My Baby," "My Shining Hour,":  I know them all and so does everyone.  But I did not know they were all written by Harold Arlen.  But now I know because I am reading a biography of him written by Walter Rimler who also wrote a biography of George Gershwin, which I read.  I enjoy reading biographies for many reasons.  I like to learn how people became successful.  And I am basically nosy, so I enjoy see how people lead their lives.

Many years ago in Vancouver,  we would often go walking after dinner.  Twilight had descended so the interior lights in the houses were on but the shades were yet not pulled.  My Mother was irritated when folks pulled their drapes because if they did, she could not look into their living room.  We called her "Nosy Rosie".   She just laughed.  Ken has commented many times that one reason I was a successful real estate agent was because I was basically nosy.  I enjoyed getting to know everything about the buyers and sellers when I worked to help them buy or sell a house.  And I enjoyed seeing the homes.  After all, for the period of time my clients worked with me, I knew more about them than their siblings.   And I think that is the reason I enjoy biographies.  Basically, I am nosy and I am certainly enjoying the Harold Arlen book.

No comments: