Monday, December 4, 2017

December 4, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. The Serviceman.

When he called to say he would be at our home in 30 minutes, I detected an interesting Mississippi accent.  And when I suggested he call if he got lost, he laughed and said that if he gets lost, he will find a boat and come in the backyard.  I laughed and awaited his arrival.  And I knew I wanted to hear him talk.  His accent was so strong I could barely understand him on the phone.

When he arrived, he went straight to the fridge.  I tried to get him to talk to me about the problem but he said almost nothing.  He just got to work while I waited for an opportunity.When he had completed his task, I asked again what was the matter and he gave me a detailed explanation.  I did not actually care.  I just wanted to hear him talk.  It was delightful.   Once he started to talk to me,  I could not get him to stop.  We talked Mississippi politics.  And we talked insurance fraud.

He has his own company and he makes repairs for a home owners warranty company, which is why I got to him.  Last year we took out a warranty and this was the first time to need anything repaired.  He told me lots of stories of people who wanted him to say that the air conditioner must replaced, when it really only needs a coil.  He said he has been offered many bribes which he refuses and reports it to the warranty company.  "Cheats are everywhere", says he.    We must have chatted for 20 minutes.  It was such fun listening to his accent. which is country white Mississippi talk.  I wish I could mimic his accent.  Andrew could have done it in a heart beat.    But not me.  Listening to him talk was worth the price of admission.  Plus now my fridge is repaired. Today I won in every direction.

No comments: