Monday, December 25, 2017

December 25, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Gratitude.

The concept of being grateful requires constant reminders.  Even me, who is by nature optimistic will catch myself with wishing something that is impossible.  But I quickly return to being grateful for what we are doing.  We have spent many many Christmas Days, and every one has been wonderful.  The good thing is I can recall so many of those days which gives me great pleasure.   Our days are quieter now but no less pleasant.

Since Andrew died, Christina and the girls have come to our home mid afternoon  on Christmas Day to open gifts.  Then we go to our neighborhood Chinese restaurant for our Christmas dinner.  Christina orders the food ahead of time so we just arrive and the food flows to our table.  The friendly lady owner is always thrilled to see us each year.  And neither Christina nor I have any cooking and cleanup.  I just read another story about Chinese food and Christmas and the Jews, which has been happening for a long time.   As my heritage showed almost 2 % Jewish, I qualify to eat Chinese food on Christmas Day.  In past years,  I did not know about my heritage so we just ate Chinese food for fun but now we are merely following the old Jewish custom.  How times change.

Gratitude is a state of mind.  I am fortunate to have many things to be grateful for, from family and friends to homes and travel.  Now I am grateful for having had yet another Merry Christmas.

No comments: