Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17, 2014. Western Head, N.S. Progress.

Together again!! Last evening Gill hosted a welcome home party for us. It was just for the Gull Bay Group plus Pat and Mal who are staying with us. This is the first time we have seen these good friends since Andrew died and it had the potential to be sad, but it was not sad at all. These friends were part of Andrew's childhood and youth. During dinner, Gill gave a toast to Andrew and his family but although I appreciated the gracious sentiment, I was not yet prepared to join into the cheering. Whenever I focus on Andrew I just feel profoundly sad. But I am making progress. I did not cry, but changed the topic of conversation. Today we made real progress with the house as well. The garage is organized. The truck, which would not start, is now at the mechanic, who will look at it on Tuesday. The pantry is in order. Mal took me to the grocery store and I purchased the essentials, which included toilet paper. Gill popped in to say hello just after lunch and Wendy came to invite Pat and Mal and Ken to dinner on Saturday. Gill and I will attend the Reader's Festival. She joined us in a cup of tea. By this time tomorrow evening, the whole house and Guest House will be in order. Today was a perfect Western Head day: 65 degrees, fog, rain, wind, high waves. It could not be any more opposite than what we experienced in Texas and Mississippi. It is like night and day. Quite astonishing to be on the same continent. Today I wore my wool socks and my denim shirt. And I wore long pants and sneakers. Soon, summer will arrive…but not yet.

No comments: