Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 22, 2014. Western Head, N.S. Isaac.

We met him first when he was surfing. It was winter and the winds were howling as were the waves, but Isaac and his buddies were surfing. Hour after hour they were surfing. They were all young and thin and fit. They were very pleasant when we chatted with them when they came to their cars. A few years later, I met him installing a bench in the Ely's yard. When I was introduced to him and was told that we lived next door, he reminded me that we had met when he was surfing. He looked different but I took him at his word. Not only was he installing the bench, but he had designed and built the bench himself, over the winter out of thick slabs of wood, using arms from curved branches. It was sturdy and solid and beautiful. The next year Isaac made a lovely arbor for the Ely's, with slate benches on each sides. So far, all I know about him is that he builds lovely outside furniture and he surfs. I think he is a surfer dude. And when Wendy asked him to weed in her absence, he shook his head and said "I am sorry but I am not good at weeding". The next summer I discovered that he had just graduated with a Master's Degree in Education, with a specialty in Special Education, and that he is teaching a Special Ed. class in Bridgewater. And he is making another large bench for the Ely's, in his spare time over the winter. Nova Scotia has a host of talented people, doing things you never expect. I am always astonished with the expertise right in front of our eyes in Liverpool. Today, Isaac came by to get his pay. Over the winter, he made us a small bench and in our absence, set it beside the pond. It is a perfect fit for the space. And he has gotten married last fall. He is one happy man. And he will make us a chair in the same style as the bench, to sit beside the pond. But when the waves are up, you will find him surfing. Somethings never change, at least not for Isaac.

No comments: