Sunday, March 6, 2016

March 6, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Our Cleaning Lady.

She cleans our condo every week and has been for the past two years.  I know this because last year I spent most of my time at home so I got to see her every week.  Her English is nonexistent so we communicate with me speaking English to her, which she does not understand, while she responds in her rapid Spanish, which I also do not understand.  But somehow or another, we are able to communicate.  Today, she wanted to know if I wanted her to clean the kitchen thoroughly as we had left lots of stuff on the counter and she wondered if I was about to cook.

Doreen speaks Spanish but everyone except me is at the pool, so I could not get help.  Body language is often better than words anyway,  so right now, she is cleaning the kitchen.

She is a sweet lady, at least,  she seems to enjoy her job.  Of course, I always give her a tip, especially at the beginning of our stay.   My message to her is that we appreciate her efforts.  The most interesting thing about her is her height and girth.    She is short and she is wide.  Even though her cleaning skills are not superior to other cleaning ladies I have known, she is certainly the most cheerful.   I wonder if being cheerful equates with poor cleaning skills?   My Nova Scotia lady is delightful and dependable but she cleans our whole house in 3 hours which means it gets a lick and a promise.  But I am delighted that I am not cleaning the house myself.    I am grateful for the little lady in Mexico who cleans our condo each week.  And I thank her in Spanish for all her work.

No comments: