Monday, March 7, 2016

March 7, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. More Curling.

The Brier is the Canadian Curling Championship for Men, held every year in March.  Many consider it to be the premier curling competition in the world.  All I know is that the Brier many years ago got us hooked on watching curling and we have enjoyed it ever since.  At home in the US, finding curling  on TV is impossible  but the cable TV here in Mexico has a Canadian station  so we are able to see the competition.  This year The Brier is being held in Ottawa and on Wednesday Rita and her daughter Renee will attend.  I am jealous as I have never seen a live game.

The Brier has a long and storied history.  I spent a couple of hours reading everything I could about The Brier and Canadian Curling.  I am boring the household with all my facts.  One thing I know for sure is that this group of curlers is top quality.   Many many past champions are competing.  And the young ones just get better and better.   The shot making has been marvelous.   So far I know all the rules and the terminology, and I am learning the strategy.  All the players are connected to the sound system so you can hear them talking together about what they want to be doing.  And the commentators help with options too.  I am becoming an expert in my own mind even though I have not thrown a rock.  It is great fun watching the personalities of the curlers come out throughout the week.  Next Sunday, a new champion will be crowned.  I bet it will be the team from Northern Ontario.  They look great so far.  I am thoroughly enjoying The Brier 2016.

No comments: