Monday, November 13, 2017

November 13, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Beauty.

I was fortunate to be born not beautiful.   There was nothing the matter with how I looked when I was young but I certainly was not beautiful.  Most folks would not consider this an asset but I learned that I was not going to get ahead in life with my looks.  Of course I was taught that "beauty is only skin deep", and that "what you put into your head is more important that what you put on your face".  I learned early that my personality, energy, enthusiasm and intellect would stand me in good stead...and I was correct.

At high school in Toronto, my friend Mary was beautiful and talented.  She was a top student and she was the end chair in the orchestra in the violin section.  Her hair was white blond and her skin was clear.  She was beautiful and she was my friend.  But I would not trade for her life.  She never dated.  Every weekend she was asked out a dozen times but she always refused.  The boys wanted to go out with her to brag, not to be with her.  It had happened once so she never did it again.   I on the other hand had an active social life.  I have always wondered what happened to her.

Looking old has given me no stress.  I looked fine at 80 just as I did at 60 or 40 but people struggle with their looks as they get older and go to great lengths to stay younger with the result that they look ridiculous.  The beauty at 20 is not the beauty at 60 but as I was not beautiful at 20 and I felt fine, I had no problem with how I looked at 60 or 80.   You can see, not being born beautiful was a major asset to me.  It was true when I was young and is true now that I am old.  I am just OK.

No comments: