Friday, November 17, 2017

November 17, 207. Madison, Mississippi. Adversity.

Mary Frances would like me to tell her if I had significant adversity in my life.  I just laughed.  Then I made a list.  If you were to ask me if I had been lucky in my life I would have said yes.  I have been fortunate.  But my list of adversity is long so what am I missing?  MF also would like to know how I coped, so I have been thinking about that.  I had good role models in my mother and grandmother.

My grandmother Houghton had 5 children.  Her first grandchild died when he was 8, from some childhood infection.  Any time she spoke about that grandchild she spoke about how grateful she was that they all had him for that period of time.  No moaning or groaning or feeling sorry for herself.   I have a picture with her with that child on the bathroom wall in Nova Scotia so I see it all the time, which reminds me to be grateful.

A Salvation Army officer was visiting our home.  She was not typical in that she was glum.  She was married and had no children and she and her husband were stationed in Vancouver.  After she left, I asked Mother why she was so unpleasant.  My mother told me that years ago, her baby died during delivery and she had never gotten over it.  My Mother commented that the lady wore the death of her child like a crown of thorns, constantly reminding herself of what she had lost.   My mother was not impressed.  And I remembered and learned to put adversity behind you, and be grateful.

No comments: