Wednesday, November 8, 2017

November 8, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Television.

I often hear folks say that they never watch television.   My response to myself is to think that they are missing a lot.  With so many stations available, much you see is junk and not worth watching, but if you look carefully,  you can find gems.

When we first arrived, I watched Aerial America on the Smithsonian channel.  They give a history of the state in addition to the present situation.  And the pictures are incredible.  I watched Connecticut and learned more than I ever knew about the place.  The next day I watched Aerial New Zealand  which was really beautiful and a reminder of our visit in 2014.

Tonight for an hour I watched the National Geographic station, which was showing a year on the most northerly island of Japan, Haikido.  The history, the animals and the people were all presented, in beautiful photographs.  The hour was magical.

My friend Marilyn is pretty much housebound but she is enjoying herself with her television and her books and her friends.  Without television, life would be more difficult for her.  The same is true for me.  I use  television when I need a break for my eyes.  And I am never disappointed with what I find.    A few days ago I watched and listened to a bit of an old fashioned hour of gospel music, where I found of all places on PBS.  I loved it.  All my favorite old gospel songs were there for me to sing along.  When people tell me that television is terrible just know they are wrong.  But you must search for the gems.

No comments: