Thursday, November 30, 2017

November 30, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. My Ethnicity.

On both of sides of my family I was led to believe that we were English.  The Houghtons for several generations lived on the north side of London.  And the Buckley family came from Yorkshire.    But it turns out I am must more interesting than that.  This is the modern world.  Ken ordered a pack from Heritage.com.  I used two long sticks covered with cotton.  Then I swabbed the inside of each cheek. Next I broke off the tip and sent them to the lab which I had placed into tiny vials full of fluid.  Today,  the results came to Ken on the email.  Pretty nifty system.

Who knew I was 8.8% Scandinavian.  And I was 1.5% Ashkenazi Jew.  Also 1% East Asian and .9% From the Baltic.   I am English, but only 36.5%.  The rest, 51.3% Scottish and Welsh.   So in the past, the Vikings got together with some ancestor.  Also the Moguls.  Fascinating stuff.  This is all high tech stuff.  Gill had herself tested too and they suggested to her that she had 4% Neanderthal, which is more than most.   She also received more genetic information.  Our test is for the business of your ancestry, not the genetic make up, which is what Gill did.  It is still interesting.

Ken had his test a few months ago.  His surprise was the amount of Scandinavian which was 15%.  The rest was Scottish and Irish with a small % of English.   And 1% Sardinian.  He has subsequently found a relative who came from Italy, undoubtedly Sardinia.

No Irish in me.  Now I must say I hail from Scotland and Wales which is much more interesting than saying England.   Ken has had trouble finding Buckleys and Houghtons in the records.  Now he will look in Scotland and Wales to find my ancestors.   My ethnicity is complicated.   And much more interesting.  To be accurate, in the future I will say my family came from Scotland, Wales and England.  That will be my story.  Nifty.

No comments: