Monday, August 20, 2018

August 20, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Mike and Joy.

A man I did not know knocked at our front door. I found a blond man about 45 standing looking at me. He had a pleasant face. He asked if I was Ruth. He said he had not met me before but he and his wife had eaten dinner in my home. I knew immediately he was one of Carol and Ken's friends from the Salvation Army. I invited him into the kitchen. We had a pleasant conversation about Carol and her friendly ways. Carol and Ken always attended services in either Liverpool or Bridgewater. My sister was an outgoing person. They often had their new friends home for dinner. Mike told of sitting on the deck enjoying the sun and the sea. He and his family also enjoyed the hot tub. What he really wanted to know why they no longer came to Western Head so I had to give him the news that first Carol died and Ken also 4 months later. Carol would have been 83 now had she lived but she died at age 77. But what I enjoyed the most while talking with Mike was the kind stories he told about Carol. And he told of her competence. He said we would arrive and sit chatting outside with nothing set out for a meal, until Carol would go inside and within 5 minutes Carol would call us to dinner, with the feast set out on the table. He was complementary of both Carol and Ken and their whole family enjoyed getting to know them year after year. Then they stopped. Mike drove by this morning with his work and noticed our gate was open so he came in to see if I was there. I miss Carol as does Mike and I enjoyed hearing his happy memories of Carol and Ken and their annual visits to our home here in Western Head. Carol and Ken came here every year, usually in the autumn. We overlapped a week, then Ken and I left them to enjoy themselves, which they did. Chatting with Mike about those happy times wee an unexpected pleasure for me. I was pleased.

No comments: