Friday, August 3, 2018

August 3, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Remembering and Forgetting.

My Texas family must think I am daft. I remembered on the 31st of last month that Allison and Samantha had their birthday on the 31st, so I called Allison on her cell phone to give an effusive birthday greeting. And I asked her to give the same greeting to Samantha. As I could not find Samanthas number, I texted Suzanne to tell Samantha I had called. Suzanne thanked me and told me she would tell Samantha. So all was well. I had covered my bases. The only problem was I was remembering the wrong event. The twins birthday is in August. What I had forgotten was the wedding anniversary of David and Suzanne which was on July 31st, 25 years ago in Houston. I realized my error in the middle of the night last night. Suzanne did not say I word to me about me mixing up the dates. I suspect that she thinks my remembering and forgetting is flawed. My sister Carol has regaled people over the years with stories about me when I was young. The problem was that I had no recollection of the event. The tales always told stories about me getting into mischief. Perhaps I just forgot them all. And I clearly recall a story I have told about my brother and father which my brother says did not remember ever happening. But I remembered. I did not think I have trouble with my short term memory but perhaps I am loosing my grip. Certainly my family in Texas think I have gotten a little dotty. Remembering and forgetting seems selective at 80. Now I must tell Suzanne I have gotten it all straight. In the future I will trust the records not my memory. But I did think the whole thing was funny. Certainly too good too keep to myself.

No comments: