Thursday, August 9, 2018

August 9, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Hockey Camp.

All week our Emera Center played host to a Hockey Camp. Boys and girls were in the same camp and was for ages 8 to 12. This afternoon we stayed to watch. The first thing I could tell was the expertise of the skating. This kids could really skate, at least it seemed so to me. Ken and I walk laps around the top of the hockey rink. Once a free skating was held for families which includes children and parents and another time a skate for only adults was being help. Watching the hockey camp was lots more fun than the other activities. I stopped during my walking to ask a young couple about the camp. They gave me the basic program. The kids practice morning and afternoon, with the morning for skating only and the afternoon for skills and shooting. They told me that there were 7 girls. But I could only find four. Of course, with the helmets and full equipment it was difficult to tell the boys from the girls. But I did spot four long pony tails. Their first drill of the afternoon was to skate a pattern around the rink, going around each circle twice then continting to the center, then to the end. Finally returning down the other side of the rink, always carrying a hockey stick. Next they did the same pattern but skating backwards. Next the pattern was the same but. carrying a puck. They were to keep their heads up so as not to run into any players. I am not an expert but I could see that the boys skate faster. I commented to the couple who answered my questions about the speed of the skaters. The lady agreed with me that the kids skate very well. "Of course," she said, "They have all been skating since 2 years old, and they spend hours each week on their skates. No wonder they are good skaters." Both Ken and I enjoyed watching those kids learning their craft of hockey and having lots of fun. When it was hot outside, it was cool in the rink. They were working hard and having a blast. We enjoyed watching them at their hockey camp.

No comments: