Monday, August 27, 2018

August 27, 2018. Western Head, Nova Scotia. 60th Anniversary.

This evening we celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary. We celebrated with our good friends in our own home. We enjoyed it. Walt and Mary brought us a dozen red roses and our fellow DWEMs had all signed a lovely card, orchestrated by Mary Mitchell. The evening was warm and endearing. I was pleased I had not ignored the date. I was intending to put together an event celebrating our 60th but everything I suggested got quickly shot down. Eventually I got irritated because everything I suggested was not acceptable. The cruise we wanted to take with everyone was too long. The multiple parties in different cities was thought to be too complicated. Soon I quit trying. I ha started the organization almost three years ago. Nothing pleased anyone. Not David and Suzanne and Christina and certainly not Ken. I finally decided that no one wanted me to organize an event when I might not live long enough to enjoy the party. At the time I was full of cancer in my bones. Before Ibrance, cancer in the bones had never disappeared. Once I realized what they were thinking I stopped thinking about it. But over a year ago, we booked a cruise down the Mississippi River to celebrate our 60th. We booked the largest cabin on the boat. Even if we will not take excursions, we will sit on our balcony and watch the great river. And I will read Mark Twain. But tonight we quietly celebrated with our good friends. Clausen gave a clever toast. And I toasted our good friends. We all felt grateful to be together again.

No comments: