Tuesday, February 16, 2021

February 16, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Storms.

At 4;30 this afternoon, I received a call from the gentleman at the front desk. They had been notified that a storm was brewing just nort of Monterray which might knock out the electrical grid. We might be without power. What a surprise. The day looks fine but as I look out now I can see that the sky is getting black. And if I listen carefully I hear low rumbles of thunder off in the distance. So I decided to write my little web log now rather than just before bedtime. But before I sat down to the computer I checked to see what provisions I have to use when the power goes out. I have no candles and even if I have candles I have no matches. And if the power goes out what else cuts off? Does the water sill flow? and the toilets? For sure the elevators will not work. I know they have provisions for keeping emergency lights running for safety so I should be able to walk on the balcony this evening. They expect the storm might hit around 6:00 so I could expect no power after that time. The only thing I could find useful was one small flashlight, the one I carry with me when I travel. Once in the past, the electricity went out one evening and Ken and I were in the pitch black. At that time, we had no flashlights with us. So we stumbled into the bedroom and went to bed. I seem to recall that we purchased a large flashlight which we kept with our stuff in the locker. But one year the battery had corroded so we threw it away. Now I have only one small flashlight to let me function safely. I did laught. I felt like all those other folks without power in Texas. Except here it is 71 degrees. I think I will survive the lack of power.

No comments: