Friday, February 5, 2021

February 5, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Evaluation.

When falling asleep last evening, I evaluated my function, starting at my head and ending at my feet. I was trying to predict how I would be doing in May 2022 when I would be taking the cruises, first up the St. Lawrence River to Totonto, then to Georgian Bay and the Great Lakes. I start in Portland, Maine and end in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I must make a decision so I did an evaluation of myself. My head seems to be fine with little changes in two years. My speech does not seem any worse. Since my stroke when I lost my words I have had troucle finding the right words but I have gotten better over the years. No problem with my head I thought. This past year I have developed a tremor in my right arm, but only when I am holding something. When I hold my hand in front of me I have no tremor but when I pick up a glass, my hand shakes. It does not seem to effect my function so I will ignore it. My eyes are not getting worse either. I still have issues, but nothing has changed. The cancer in my bones are out of my control. Ibrance, my chemo, has worked in the past so I assume it will work now so I will ignore the cancer. My legs still work. I walk between 5000 to 7000 steps every day. My legs are wierd but they work. Every morning I ask myself the same question:"Are my legs getting better or worse?" And of course, I have no idea. There is no objective way to measure the difficulty in my legs. They hurt, but they work. This morning, I called Pearl Sea Cruise Line and switched my reservation to 2022. I decided I was in as good a shape now as two years ago. And I am assuming that one year will make little difference in my function. I am counting that the third try will be the charm!!

No comments: