Wednesday, February 17, 2021

February 17, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Avocado Toast.

Until last winter here in Mexico, I had never eated a piece of avocado toast but Wonderful Wendy figured out how to keep an avocado ripe, so one morning she prepared me a piece of avocado toast. I loved it. Along with fruit, my breakfast was perfect. The avocado was always perfectly ripe so I got spoiled. Rita also was able to keep a ripe avoado available so she also made me avocado toast for breakfast. No question about it, I was fortunate. This last grocery order came with 8 avocados. I put 2 in the fruit bowl and put the rest in the fridge. I checked every day to see if they were ripe. Finally I used the ripe one and made myself a piece of avocado toast. Much to my surprise, mine tasted good too. The other half I put into a salad for dinner. I have gotten over my old pattern which was find the avocado either too ripe so it is rotten or too hard and bitter. I used their system of keeping most in the fridge and only two on the counter in the fruit bowl. I check them every day. I am enjoying all those ripe avocados. And I have four to go. In 1954, I first heard the word avocado. A cousin of my Mother was visiting us in Toronto. She came for afternoon tea. She and her husband owned an avocad orchard. They lived n Colorado. I wish I knew her name but I don't. She had to explain to Mother and me what you could do with an avocado. She must have thought that we were bumpkins but neither of us knew anything about them. I never saw that lady again even though she was a cousin of my mother. Times have changed. Now a piece of avocado toast for breakfast is my favorite. But it took me a long time.

No comments: