Monday, February 1, 2021

February 1, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. The White Road.

Edmund De Waal wrote this book, The White Road. He also wrote the best seller, The Hare With Amber Eyes, which was wonderful. This book, The White Road, is his second book, published in 2015. When I ordered the book I started reading it bit by bit bul life got complicated so I put it on the pile of books to read when life became less hectic. That would be now. No life ould be less complicated than mine right now living by myself in Mexico. My timing was perfect and I am enjoying reading the book now. The book tells two tales. The first is the history and story of the discovery and production of porcelain. De Waal is a potter living in London, England. He has always been fascinated with porcelain. The second tale is the story of his search, visiting the places in the world where porcelain was developed. I am enjoying both parts of the stories which are inter woven throughout. I am still in China, where porcelain was originally manufactured, in the 15th Century. The English tried for years to get the secret and finally they did. I was taught to put milk in the cup before pouring in the hot tea. I was told the tea tastes better that way. The real reason for putting in milk first had to do with the inferior quality of the English porcelain. In the early years of English manufacture of porcelain, the cup would crack if the tea was too hot. So they learned to put milk in first. And it became proper. I still do it. Firs the milk, followed by the tea from the pot. I am still in China in the book but am enjoying the book enormously. And I look forward to reading the other places the author will visit and learn about throught the rest of the book. De Waal is a famous potter who has won many prizes. Fortunately he also takes time to write and for that I am grateful. This book is a good read.

No comments: