Tuesday, December 14, 2021

December 14, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. New Roof.

The crew started work at 7:30 Sunday morning. A host of people were on my roof, ripping up the old cedar shingles. They were noisy. I feel sure that there is a noise ordinance on Sundays but no one said anything to me, but I was surprised. This house was built in the early 80s. Most houses have already replaced the roofs even though cedar shake roofs are supposed to last the life of the house. My garage was already leaking and a tree took down the peak of the garage. I decided to put on another roof. Sunday morning they started. Chantes was the contractor and he arrived with a lot of people, including two women in the crew. They worked until 6:30, already in the pitch dark. Monday was the same. All day with lots of people. By the time they left, the area around the house was clean, which pleased me. Monday the crew was smaller but they still worked a long day. Today they hoped to be finished but half the garage needs to be done. Reroofing a house is a big job. And expensive. But if it lasts another 40 years I will be happy. They need to be finished before I leave tomorrow at 11:30 so I can pay them. All the houses in this area were built with cedar shake roofs. And the rules require it. But when the insurance companies no longer insure houses with cedar shake roofs, the home owners association agreed to use an engineered shingle roof. All the new roofs use that material. Now I am one of those with a new roof. No leaking garage for me. Fortunately, the weather was perfect for roofing. Sunny and 65 degrees. I just got it done in the nick of time before I leave town. Hurrah for Chantes.

No comments: