Wednesday, December 1, 2021

December 1, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Outing # 3.

The Delta holds a special place in the heart of all Mississippians. I am not sure why. Today Chris and I went to the Delta to see two potters but we only visited one. We had a great day but we ran out of time to visit the second potter. The day was perfect with full sunshine and 72 degrees. And we enjoyed driving in the Delta, which is flat. Ken and I have driven in the Delta several times and for our money, the most important fact is the land. It is flat. Perfectly flat. No hills. No valleys. Just flat. Everytime I see the Delta I forget. Today I remembered. The Delta is flat from just above Vicksburg to almost the state border, it is called the Delta and it is flat. Christ always drives on highways less travelled. Our route was lovely, driving through country roads and many farms. We were heading to Marigold, the home and business of the most well known potter in Mississippi. We were intending to go to Bayou Mound, where Petters Pottery can be found but we ran out of time. The name of the potter escapes me but his place was interesting. The store inself did not have a huge inventory. But what they had on display was beautiful. Behind the little store is a garden with lots of places to sit to enjoy the birds and fountains. I could have bought lots of those beautiful objects but I restrined myself and purchases only two, both to be given away. Evidently they sell out every day even though there is not a sign to be found outside. Another person commented to me that you need to have a bit of magic just to find the place. The family also runs a charming little restaurant just around the corner in the tiny town. No sign there either. The place was quiet and restful and the food was excellent. After lunch, we headed home, returning the same way we arrived, on the small highways. Even then, we arrived home at 4:30, having left at 10:00. I love to drive the backroads of Mississippi and Chris is happy to indulge me. He also enjoyed the day. Today was another successful outing, today driving the Mississippi Delta. I enjoyed every minute.

No comments: