Friday, April 15, 2022

April 15, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. Being Old.

Many folks when they are old, spend all their time complaining. If you let them, they will tell you their ailments including the activities they are not able to perform. My Mother once said of one lady that we should not ask her how she was feeling because if we did, the lady will give a list of what was the matter with her. Better not to ask, my Mother thought. So my solution is to never tell anyone how I am feeling. My rule is walking and talking. If I can do both activities, I am good to go and I have no business complaining. In truth, there are many advantages to being old. I get to watch my grandchildren grow up. The same with the friends children. Today at lunch I enjoyed the company of friend Lisa along with her husband and two of her children, aged 17 and 15. If I was busy working I would never have been able to enjoy that delightful lunch. Now that I am old, people go out of their way to accomodate me. Friend Cheryl came for coffee this week, just to be nice and to keep me company. People indulge me in my old age. They help me in and out of the car. I live alone. And I am old. I can eat anything I want. And I can eat meals at any time. I always watch television when I eat so this evening I watched a wonderful program on PBS, Great Performance. It was wonderful while I ate my dinner. Also I am in control of the remote control so I am able to select anything I want on the TV. I am discovering more and more aspects of being old that are positive. So my rule is never to complain about anything. If I accentuate the negative, it only makes things worse. Truth be told, no one really wants to hear your issues. Being old is a good thing. That is my story and I will stick with it!!

No comments: