Wednesday, April 6, 2022

April 6, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. The Butcher Shop in Flora.

When I was a child, my Mother bought her meat at the butcher shop. But soon we all began to buy our meat at the large grogery stores. When I began teaching in 1957, I visited a butcher shop just up the street from the school. But it did not last long and for a long time, there were no butcher shops at all. All meat was purchased at the grocery stores. But of recent years, single stores have been appearing and now you can actually find a butcher shop. But you must look for them. My Lyft driver Chris had told me about the butcher store in Flora and we visited it once, where I bought sausage. And we had lunch in Flora too. The sausage was delicious so I wanted to return to buy more meat. Chris says that their meat is expensive but I eat such a small amount of meat that I decided to make another visit. Today was the day. I enjoyed my excursion. I looked at all their meat which looked wonderful and I bought 4 pork chops, 4 filet mignons, 2 strip steaks, and 4 different types of sausage. The lady kindly wrapped them individually because she knew I lived alone. My freezer will now provide me with planty of meat. I was delighted with my purchase. Before we went to the market, Chris and I ate lunch. The Blue Rooster was the place we selected. I ate a rueben which was delicious along with potatoe salad. The day was glorious and we drove back roads in both directions. The back roads in Mississippi are worth driving, especially when most people drive the main highways and leave the small roads to us. I enjoyed my excursion with Chris. He is kind to indulge me. I not only enjoyed myself but also now have a freezer full of good meat. Pretty good for a few hours work.

No comments: