Saturday, April 30, 2022

April 30, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. Beef Dinner.

About a month ago, friends and family met to kill and butcher one of the cows on the Madison property. I was invited to be in on the action and to partake in the group dinner, all done in the old farm house. Usually the meat is wrapped and divided but this cow was small and young. Sebastian suggested that a group dinner be held at the Sutherlands new home and that four different parts of the cow would be served. Tonight was the night. Even though I did not take part in the hunt, I was along for the cheering. So I was invite to the beef dinner, which was tonight. We ate four different parts of the cow cooked by four different people. It was a taste treat with different flavors and textures with each dish. We ate tenderloin by Sebastian. Tonge by Eleanor. Back strap by Cheryl and shanks by John. Along with rice and a vegetable salad, our meal was complete. Blueberry cobler for dessert made by Eleanor. We had a wonderful time. I felt fortunate to be along with the ride. Two people who had been part of the hunt for the cows I had not met, Don and Donna. They had left before I arived that evening. But this evening I got to talk with them. Don is the chair of the English department at Belhaven University. He is the only person I know who has read Davies. So I was able to discuss a bit about Canadian literature. So I enjoyed that conversation. And I enjoyed the whole evening. It was a treat for me.

No comments: