Thursday, October 5, 2023

October 5, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. She Quit.

 Marlene was my new helper, learning how to be a good helper to me.  Right from the beginning, she had some issues.  One was her talking.  She talked a lot, very often to David.  But she seemed helpful and kindly so I thought I could work with her.  The second issue was that she liked to tell me what to do.

This morning, she drove David to the Mississippi Sports Medicine Clinic for an evaluation of his shoulder.  I did not tell her directly but David told her that I wanted her to drop David at the clinic, then come home. But she did not get home in a timely manner so I called her and she told me that she had parked the car and was then helping with David to fill out forms.  So I told her to come home.  But she refused.  She said that she would not drive my car all by herself due to her liability.  After several conversations to the company, she finally came home.By now it was almost 11:00.

When she arrived home I asked her.  And she started to tell me the same story I had heard on the phone.  So I interrupted and pointed out that she was supposed to do what I ask..  She kept talking.  I again interrupted.  And she took umbrage and Quit.  Right then and there.  So I called Ben to find a new helper, who will come tomorrow.  I have fired many people over my life but I have only had one other worker quit.

Chris picked up David.  When I asked David, and reminded her that she was supposed to go home, Marlene told David that he would only be there so she did not want to come back hone and then return so quickly.  But I knew better.  The liability issue was just an excuse.  Anyway, she is gone.  She just quit.

No comments: