Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10, 2012. Jackson, Mississippi. Fermor.

A Time to Keep Silence is the name of a small book, another by the writer Patrick Leigh Fermor.   It is the story of his time  in monasteries, where he went to shut out the distractions of the world and write his books.   You learn when you read his books, not the least being his vocabulary.  Fortunately the Kindle has a built in dictionary and I consult it on every page.  This book was written in 1958 but reissued in 1980.

I was not been brought up to think highly of the introspective, contemplative life.    For us, a life of action was the highest achievement, so this book discloses and interprets the life of the quiet and still life of the monks, and it's benefits.  I still am not keen on the idea but for some people, it may have merit.  This book tells you how and why.

I just discovered a few weeks ago that Mr. Fermor died only last year.  Now I have only one more of his books in my Kindle but I intend to read more.  He was a learned interesting man and a wonderful complicated writer.  A Time to Keep Silence is worth every moment of your time.

No comments: