Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012. Jackson, Mississippi. The Orchid Thief.

David heard about this book while watching his garden show on a Saturday morning, so I down loaded the book onto my iPad.  Now I am almost at the end.  The story is simple.  A man stole a bunch of orchids in Florida from state land.  The case was complicated but during the book you read pages and pages about orchids and how they grow.  Perhaps there is more information than is necessary but I found it interesting.  I love orchids.

The writer, Susan Orlean, does not live in Florida and in fact paints a rather unattractive picture of Florida and it's history.  The full title is The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession.  The book tells you not only about the thief but also a lot of other folks who are in love with orchids.  I had not known about such people so I enjoyed the book, even though it was not particularly well written.  I learned a lot about orchids and Florida.

No comments: