Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22, 2012. Jackson, Mississippi. Entertaining.

I like entertaining.  I have done it all my life.  But I have never enjoyed cooking.  My solution is to invite folks for dinner, then try to figure out what to serve them.  If I did it in reverse, we would never have company.  For many years, we had very little disposable income, but we still entertained.  I knew how to make stew in many languages.  Often I have wondered why I entertained as much and decided that when I was home caring for the boys, entertaining was the only thing that challenged me much during the week. Getting the food prepared and within my budget and having the food all hot at the same time was not something I was trained to do, so I had to figure it out on the run, and all when looking after two active boys one year apart.

Part of entertaining I enjoy is the preparation.  First figuring out what to eat, then putting the whole thing together,  so the event looks effortless.   Tonight, Andrew and Christina and the girls and Linda are coming for dinner.  As usual, everything is ready an hour before they arrive.  For appetizers we will eat fresh vegetables and olives. Lasagna, salad, and rolls for the main course and cheese cake and berries for dessert.  Nothing really was cooked by me.  I just merely arrange food.

In Nova Scotia, where we entertain a lot, I really need a cook.

No comments: