Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 3, 2012. Jackson, MS. Patrick Leigh Fermor.

He is a wonderful travel writer.  In fact, I have never read anyone better.  Recently, I read a review of a travel book and the reviewer commented in passing that the present book is good but the best travel writer ever was Patrick Leigh Fermor.  I quickly down loaded three of his books and am just now getting around to reading them.  What a treat.

I am reading " Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece. " It is not a part of the world I have visited but I can see the topography in my mind, the writing is so graphic.   You learn the past and the present, all presented in lively language.  I am enjoying the book enormously but I am not reading too much each day.  I keep my Kindle in the bedroom and only read that book there.  That way I can savor the experience over a longer period of time.

I read one of his books when I was young but then I forgot about him.  What a mistake. Now I will make up for lost time.

No comments: