Tuesday, December 1, 2015

December 1, 2015. Madison, Ms. Christmas Cards.

I like sending and receiving Christmas cards.  Many folks will say it is old fashioned, or that it is a silly custom  that is also expensive.  But I disagree.  For me, it is a time of the year when I can stop by and say hello to someone who was once a big part of my life and now lives a long way away.  I do the same as if I would stop by for a cup of Christmas tea.

My cards are always written long before Christmas because I do not wish to be rushed.  In the years when I was very busy I often sent cards after the new year because I did not want to be pressured to write the cards.  I enjoy writing a brief note to say hello.  Of course, my writing is so bad the recipient may not be able to decipher the note but they will recognize the signature and they will smile to receive the card.

Last year was the first time in my life since I was married when I was unable to get out cards,  so this year brings me special pleasure as I write the notes and envelopes.  I did notice when I received our first Christmas card from Canada that the stamp cost $1.20.   Whew.  Poor Canadians.  No wonder people have stopped sending Christmas cards.  But not me.  We will send them out even if I must eat beans.  I like sending and receiving Christmas cards.  I am definitely old fashioned.

1 comment:

Mostly Mosaics by Martha said...

Wow! You are wonderful to get cards out! Write me the address to send one to you! And the address I find that consistently works:
muffybranson@gmail.com