Saturday, December 19, 2015

December 19, 2015. Madison, Ms. Feeling Cold..

Even the wool socks I was wearing that were hand knit in Nova Scotia did not keep me warm today.  When I left for the funeral at 9:00,  the truck was registering 36 degrees.  I was wearing a shirt, a long sleeved sweater and a wool coat, along with a large red scarf.  And I wore my leather gloves.  It took quite a lot of searching to find the gloves.  I finally warmed up in the truck.  A visitation with the family was arranged prior to the funeral, so I drove with Christina and the big girls to meet with the family in the Parish Meeting room.  I never took off my coat.

The chapel in Madison where the funeral was held was charming but has no heat so I was chilled throughout the service.  The committal was in the church yard so we stayed…and got colder.  In the afternoon, Ken and I visited with the family at the farm house.  All five children and the 14 grandchildren were there along with several friends.  The farm house is big and charming but these large old Mississippi homes are meant to keep you cool, not hot so I was cold the whole time I was there, even though I wore a fleece vest and a jacket, which I kept on.  This evening I watched football and hockey in our sun room, the room with the single panes of glass.    Again I was cold.  I think I have gotten thin blood.  I have often told people that Canadians know how to keep themselves warm, which I think is true.  But I seem to have forgotten the rules.

No comments: