Sunday, December 13, 2015

December 13, 2015. Madison, Ms. No Electricity.

All of a sudden, we were in the dark,  I in the living room and Ken in the adjacent breakfast room.   The rooms were pitch black.  When you have lived in a house for awhile, you have a pattern of behavior of what to do when the power goes out, but we have never experienced no lights at night in this home.   At first we sat still and hoped the power would be restored quickly, but no such luck.

The wind had been strong all day and had gotten worse in the evening but we had no rain or thunder storms so we took no precautions.    We were smart enough to keep flashlights in both bed side tables, and I knew we had placed two flashlights in a drawer in the kitchen. The problem for me was getting to that drawer.  After a few minutes in the dark, I felt my way to the kitchen to find the flashlights and we were in business.   The house was quiet.  No machines or television or music so we both read by flashlight.

The power company keeps in touch by texting.  They tell you quickly what is the matter and when the power will be restored.   Sure enough, in 60 minutes our house was again bright and we could put away our flashlights.  And the power company asks you to tell them if you are still without power.  I am impressed with their diligence.  And I was grateful when the lights came on again all over the house.   Next time, when the wind is blowing hard, I will keep a small flashlight in my pocket just in case.

No comments: