Tuesday, December 22, 2015

December 22, 2015. Madison, Ms. Christmas Nuts.

The little things of Christmas give much pleasure.  Neighborhood visits are one such tradition.  The neighbors here in Roses Bluff have lived here for a long time.   They have a full calendar of social events.  In addition every neighbor spends only part of the year here or else visits their place in the country, so we never see our neighbors.   I decided to take nuts to the immediate neighbors as a way to have a little visit.  It worked.  I am delighted.

When I took the nuts to my immediate neighbor, she invited me in immediately and we had a pleasant visit.  Shortly after they returned from North Carolina, just before Thanksgiving,  the husband fell so they have been spending lots of time in doctor's office.   And she had a bag of cookies which she had baked to bring to me, but I beat her to it.   The neighbor right across the street has no railing on their 6 steps and I was not sure how I would navigate, but fortunately their teen aged son was home and graciously lent me his arm on my back down the stairs.   This evening, the wife and daughter came over to thank me and give me a Christmas goodie so we had a short but pleasant visit.

I have never seen a soul in the house caty corner from us, until I took him the nuts.  He is a widower and still works as a pediatric surgeon full time.  He was delighted to meet me and we had a pleasant chat.  Now the folks on our other side I have not yet met but I intend to knock on their door and introduce myself and give them some nuts.  These Christmas customs have more than one goal.

No comments: