Thursday, December 17, 2015

December 17, 2015. Madison, Ms. One Year.

My friend Wendy commented to me in an e mail that I was better now than I was earlier in the year.  I had said that my present chemo therapy has side effects, which it does.  But it is nothing like the initial infusion of medications.  If I consider where I was last year at that time I have made much progress.

One year ago I still had a chest full of fluid plus a large mass, all breast cancer cells.  I had a permanent drain installed in my chest so I could drain the fluid every four days.  We flew to Mexico without any contact with an Oncologist who would give me my chemotherapy.  Don and Doreen came to look after us, followed by Rita and Ian.  Much to everyones surprise,  everything worked out in Mexico.  The Oncologist was excellent and administered the medication.  When I was anemic she gave me a blood transfusion.  I rested and walked and ate good food.

When we returned to Mississippi, my main Oncologist continued the same infusions for two more sessions, but my body was breaking down so she switched me to Ibrance and Letrozole.  But the original chemotherapy had done the job.  My chest fluid disappeared and the drain was removed.   The sojourn in Texas gave me much rest.  We stayed almost the whole time at the ranch and did almost nothing.  And I got stronger.   The Texas Oncologist was also excellent.

 In Nova Scotia I began to get better as the summer wore on.  The combination of modern medicine, good friends and excellent food in addition to clear air and sea breezes did the trick.   When we returned to Mississippi the Oncologist was surprised to see me looking well.  Now I walk every day and I go out into society to attend social events.  I have gained weight and my color is good.  What a difference a year makes.

No comments: