Tuesday, October 17, 2017

October 17, 2017. Canyon Lake, Texas. A Small Business.

Running a small business is not easy, but this country is full of them.   Everywhere you look, you can see another small business.  Many come and go but I am always impressed with how many of those small companies are still open for business year after year.   When we return, I always look to see who is still in business.   Now I am wondering if The Pink Elephant will stay in business.

Today I gave the owner 16 pair of men's jeans, many never worn.  And after keeping 21 of my favorite crosses from my collection,  I gave her all the rest to be sold.  There is just nowhere to display them.  I mentioned to the owner that keeping track of objects must be difficult but she assured me that she has no problem, because the computer keeps track of everything for her.  Her system is simple, she said.  My objects are given a number.  When something is sold, my number goes into the computer along with the price.  On the 15th of each month, she takes an accounting and sends the owner of the objects a cheque.  Actually, most folks go in to pick up their funds.  The owner told me that the computer makes running a small business easy.

And I talked her about pricing, which can be tricky.  I urged her to keep her prices low so she can make some money.   Her experience is that many people who leave objects for sale want the prices too high. A little lady entered the store just ahead of me.  She did not look rich but she did look worried.  The owner gave her a cheque and she left but not happily.   I felt badly.   Here I was just unloading objects, not caring whether or not I get any money.  But she had brought precious objects to be sold in order to get some funds.  I felt so fortunate.  And I was especially pleased to have shed more objects that we do not need.  I hope The Pink Elephant stays solvent.

No comments: