Tuesday, October 31, 2017

October 31, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Sleeping.

Sleeping is complicated.  Mostly, when I go to bed, I fall asleep.  But sometimes I stay awake and try to figure out why I am not going to sleep.  Sometimes I can figure it out: perhaps I drank a cup of coffee that was supposed to be decaf, or maybe I ate a lot of dark chocolate late in the day.  Sometimes when I get tired but can not go to bed, I kick into overdrive to function until the task is done.  Then I have trouble getting myself off duty.  Normally, I sleep well, but not last night.

I think it was too much sitting.  Both Ken and I had the devil of a time getting to sleep.  When we arrived home, I quickly put away everything in my case and backpack, even though I was weary.  Then I sorted the mail and started to put things in place.  We had eaten at 4:30 so did not eat before retiring to bed.  At 10:30, I got into bed, which is early for me now.  And I stayed awake.  At midnight I ate a piece of bread and cheese.  And I stayed awake.  Every time I wandered around the house I found Ken doing the same thing.  It was kind of funny.  At 2:00 I took 2 Ibuprofen and an anti nausea pill.  And I fell asleep.

Today I made sure to walk in our neighborhood.  My legs caused me trouble last night, perhaps from too much sitting.  Tonight I am not too tired so I will see what happens with my nights sleep.  My life time of having good sleep patterns should return.  I certainly do not wish to be neurotic about sleeping.  Sleeping should to be simple but now it seems to be complicated.    Nothing easy at 80 I guess.

No comments: