Wednesday, October 4, 2017

October 3, 2017. Canyon Lake, Texas. The Big Push.

Mary Frances has selected me as her subject to write a major project for he AP English class at school.  She has asked me about this story, which she heard years ago from Gary D.  I am giving her the details here.

The setting was the weekly sales meeting in the office of the Bethesda office of Merrill Lynch Realty.  The only unusual aspect of the meeting was that the manager, Butch had asked us to attend because an official of Merrill Lynch Mortgage was coming to speak, to get the agents to recommend their buyers to use their mortgage company.   The room was full, with the agents sitting at desks.  Gary was sitting on a desk chair, which was on wheels, while I and other agents were standing behind Gary, who was sitting at the end if the main isle of the office.

Th speaker was boring and kept talking on and on about nothing that interested me, but I could not leave the meeting because I was visible to all. In addition, the mortgage company in Bethesda was terrible so no good agent was likely to recommend them.   I tried to signal to Butch to stop the talk but to no avail.  Finally, I give Gary a big push right down toward the speaker and Butch.   I gave him a running start so as he headed down past all the desks,  his legs and arms were flailing in the air.  He thought he would run into the speaker.  Gary was astonished as was Butch and the speaker, but the meeting ended very soon, everyone laughing all the way.  I accomplished my goal.  The speaker got the message and stopped talking and I got to get on with my work.  The Big Push worked.




No comments: