Sunday, October 29, 2017

October 29, 2017. San Antonio, Texas. Open Houses.

David, Suzanne and I looked at open houses in Monto Vista, an old neighborhood in close in San Antonio.  My past came alive as I evaluated the homes and the agents.  David and Suzanne think they will sell the family home when Allison and Samantha leave for college, so they are beginning to evaluate options.  Time is on their side as the twins are in the 10th grade so at the moment they are looking at neighborhoods as well as house size.  I went along to enjoy the ride and the homes.  They do not need advice.

Today we observed one excellent agent who greeted us and provided information without being pushy.  She was pleasant and enthusiastic even after I told her we had an agent.  We all liked her even when I suggested the removal of a few walls.  The next home was more expensive so we were expecting a better house so we had high expectations.  When we walked in, the agent was sitting on the dining table reading her e mails and drinking from a big glass of soda from McDonald's.  She did not get up.  She clearly was not interested in us.  Eventually she got up and walked with Suzanne into the backyard.  By then David was upstairs while I was trying to figure out the main level.  Eventually she returned to her dining room place while I stood and chatted with her.   I told  her that the home was gracious with lovely moulding everywhere but I suggested that the home was old fashioned in that every room is separate from each other.  She proceeded to tell me why I was wrong.  I just laughed.  We three all agreed that we liked neither the house nor the agent.  She needs to take a lesson on holding open houses.

Next we drove up and down the neighborhood, evaluating each home.  The neighborhood is lovely with each home different.  The first home we looked at today is about the right size for them but they would need to take down a wall of two to get their great room.  Older homes mostly have the kitchen isolated from other rooms, which is exactly what David and Suzanne do not want.  They will continue looking in my absence but we had fun today.  For me, it was like old times and I loved it.

No comments: