Sunday, December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. A Christmas Service.

This evening at 4 and 6, The First Presbyterian church held A Christmas Service of Lessons and Carols. Our friend Eleanor invited me to go with her. She picked me up and brought me home. The church was packed and the Scottish minister wore his kilt. Half of the Mississippi orchestra played and the full choir sang. The service was wonderful and was just the right thing to lift my spirits. During the Processional, the first sound from the 80 piece orchestra was a single violin, pure and sweet playing the first line of Once in royal David's city. One by one other instruments joined in. By the time the whole choir of 100 were on their places holding a candle, the choir coined in, first just the sopranos. Bit by bit the volume swelled. They sang 6 verses. The whole thing was a delight and was a preview of what was to come. The choir sang 9 pieces, some accompanied by the or chests and some unaccompanied. The choir was excellent. They can sing a pure heavenly sound or can sing more robustly. The minister read all the readings. The whole program took 90 minutes. The evening was just like a bit of heaven, except the trombone player was not very good.. Ken would have loved it, had he been healthy enough to go. I am so grateful to Eleanor for inviting me and picking me up. She is a true friend indeed. I feel so fortunate. This Christmas Service was a treat.

No comments: