Friday, July 19, 2019

July 19, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Fog.

My friend Wendy loves the fog. She calls their home, which is next to us, The Fog and Bog. She likes the mystery of it all. Fog comes and goes for no apparent reason. For instance, when I look out the window right now I can barely see the ocean. A short time ago the afternoon was clear and sunny. Magic. We have fog. At 4:30 today, Anna made us a cup of herbal tea. When she was making the tea I looked outside to discover the fog coming in. When Anna came back to the living room I pointed out the fog to her. Close to shore it was still clear but out to sea you could see the fog coming in. And it did. I had her look out to Gill's house which she could see and I had her look at the trees on the other side of the Guest House. "Just Watch," I said. "Soon we will not be able to see either Gill's house or the trees. Anna is from Alberta and does not live by the shore so she had never seen fog coming in like we were seeing. She was impressed. Bt the time Anna left for home at 5:00 we could not see even a shadow of the trees behind the Guest House. And we could not see a shore in front of Gill's place, let alone the homes. Often when we are fog bound, the town is clear so Anna had no trouble getting home. She was afraid she would be forced to drive home in fog but as soon as she left the shore, the fog disappeared. Also the fog horn is not running which means there is no fog out at sea. Fog horns are automatic and the sensors are out at sea. Right now, I am living in the midst of fog. Just as Wendy says: Magical and mystical. And great fun watching the fog pour in and then dissipate. Wendy is happy tonight. She loves the fog.

No comments: