Saturday, July 20, 2019

July 20, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Open.

I have enjoyed watching the Open golf tournament. It used to be called The British Open but now they just call it The Open. This year it is being played in Northern Ireland, which is a hot bed of golfing. But because of the troubles, the Open has not been played in Northern Ireland for 59 years, so the Irish are delighted to be hosting the tournament once again. And their local star, Rory McElroy was in the tournament so he had hoped to do well. Unfortunately he did not make the cut along with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. The scenery from the course is delightful, which makes watching a pleasure. It makes me wish I could travel to Ireland again. Since Rory bombed out, a golfer named Lowry has taken the place for the Irish. Lowry is from the south but everyone is cheering for him. He is in first place by 4 points so it will be interesting to see if he can keep his nerves under check. He is obviously a good golfer but he had never won a major. The only time he was leading after three days at the US Open he shot a 78 on the last day and lost the tournament. All of Ireland is hoping he wins. But excellent golfers are nipping at his heels. The day will be interesting, not only for the golfers but also for me. I will watch the tournament while eating breakfast and lunch. The rest of the time I will come and go. I will enjoy the day all by myself watching to see how the Open will turn out. These golfers are wonderful players and the scenery is spectacular. I will be interested to see who steps up to the plate and wins the claret jog, which by itself is beautiful. I am glad I am not putting for a million dollarBut I will enjoy the last day of The Open.

No comments: