Saturday, November 2, 2019

November 2, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Alterations.

Last Spring, Kashina and I shopped at Target. I needed more light weight casual tops and pants. As I would not try on the garments, I purchased by size, at least until I got home. The tops were fine. A couple were too big but better too big then too small. As I was already wearing shorts, I never put on the long pants until now. One pair I purchased was so casual that the bottoms were just cut off at the bottom. And two pair were too long, so on Wednesday, Kashina and I went to my favorite seamstress, the one who is almost always closed. A couple of years ago, she and I had a conversation about retiring bit by bit, but last year her hours were impossible. Fortunately I laundered the both pair before I went to take them for alterations just in case they had shrunk. I am always so impressed with this lady. She keeps a comfortable couch in her store so if necessary you must wait, at least you would be comfortable. But what impresses me the most is the 12 foot rack of clothes that she either has altered or will be doing soon. And she has many fancy gowns all set for the holiday season. I asked her about the fancy clothes on the rack and she told me that the biggest part of her business is making and altering prom dresses and wedding gowns. That would scare me to death. She asked me to try on the pants, which I did and discovered that the black pants had shrunk so much they did not need shortening. But the beige pair was shorter when I first tried them on, but still needed cutting off and hemming. We will pick them up next Wednesday and will be ready for me to wear. I paid her $10. I am so impressed with this lady who works all day at her needles and her machines, of which she has three. And I always wonder how they charge so little money. But I am also grateful. and I do not intend to have a discussion with her about her cost. And I hope she stays open regular hours. Last year her hours were ridiculous but this year she took so much heat she is keeping longer hours. Once I had a conversation with Barbara at The Road Kill Cafe. I urged her to raise her prices on the menu. She doubled the prices. From then on, Ken has admonished me to shut my mouth. And I had taken his advice once again.

No comments: