Saturday, November 23, 2019

November 23, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Canada Geese.

Canada geese are not a problem on the Reservoir. Two pair made nests just along the shore from our condo and we loved watching the goslings every year. They would strut around the grass close to the water and if you got close they would hiss. But they were never a problem because there were only two pair. Now that I live just along the shore from the condo, I seldom see the geese. But I hear them every morning, a sound I like. No nests are close because we are on a bluff. Last Wednesday when driving home with Kashina I spotted a large flock of Canada geese eating on the large grass area between the road and the reservoir. I was surprised to see so many all together. After dark I heard their honking as they flew up and down the shore. And they kept up their chatter all night. It was as if they had gone crazy. Every time I woke up during the night I could hear them. This was such unusual behavior that I stayed awake listening. At sunrise, the noise stopped. And now they have disappeared. No more large flock eating on the grass. I do hear a few geese every morning but only for a few minutes. And there are only a few geese. I do not know enough about the migration patterns of geese but it seemed an unusual time for large flocks to head south. And this Fall we see no white pelicans on the reservoir. I look every day but no luck. I have no idea what was causing so much trouble for the geese that they honked all night. Fortunately they have moved on.

No comments: