Tuesday, December 24, 2019

December 24, 2019. Ancaster, Ontario. Marion and Gary.

At Peter's party, Marion had an idea. She asked me if I would like to visit Eleanor E. at her retirement residence. I have known Eleanor most of my life but have never spent much time with her because she has always lived in Hamilton. I of course was delighted so yesterday Marion and Gary picked me up. Marion is the daughter of my sisters husband and as such I have always treated her as a niece. Marion and Gary have visited us in Texas, Nova Scotia and Maryland and we have kept close contact over the years. They are both energetic, kindly folks. Marion worked as an inhalation therapist so perhaps we had interests in common. I am always pleased to see them both. Eleanor is related to Marion and Marion and Gary have helped Eleanor over the years. Eleanor started reading my blogs years ago so she was keen to see me in real life. Eleanor's husband died suddenly at age 64. She was 62. Now she is 92. Yesterday I asked her how she managed when Bob died. She said that she immediately thought of how grateful she was that they had lived together so long and that her house had no mortgage. In addition, she taught piano so had something to do to fill her days. She played at church and continued to accompany musicians. She played the piano at my sister's funeral. Now she lives in a retirement home and makes a big contribution to the organization. She looks great and I enjoyed chatting with her. She has lived a successful, productive life. I was especially pleased to spend time with Marion and Gary. Marion had brought mince tarts, which I enjoyed over coffee with Eleanor. I had not eaten a mince tart for over 30 years. It reminded me of my past which pleased me. The visit to Eleanor was an unexpected pleasure as was spending time with Marion and Gary. Some days you just get lucky.

No comments: