Sunday, December 29, 2019

December 29, 2019. Ancaster, Ontario. Candles.

The first thing I spotted when I looked at the dining table was 7 big fat candles sitting right on the table cloth. They looked lovely but I was surprised that Irene had placed the candles directly on the table cloth. Then I forgot about them. Later in the evening, when the candles were lit throughout dinner, I admired them out loud but said nothing about the candles sitting right on the table cloth. After dinner, while Irene and I were sitting at the table chatting, Irene picked up one candle and turned it upside down. I gasped. I felt sure the hot wax would spill. But no. All she did was flip off the little switch to turn off the candles. I tell you. These candles look real. All seven of these big fat candles come on with the switch. And they flicker too. Everyone else knows about those candles but not me. They all look real some with wax cut down the side, just as if the candle had been lit. They look great. Irene also has one in the powder room to use as a night light. It flickers away but never gets hot. Amazing. I noticed at the concert at Mississippi College that the choir members came in the procession carrying lit candles. But they were not real. They were lights pretending to be candles which for safety purposes makes perfect sense. When the choir left at the end of the concert, they were again carrying the candles/lights. But at the First Pres. concert the choir came in carrying real candles which they blew out after the first piece. And we didn't see them at the end. The candles on the Christmas dining table at Dave and Irene's home look spectacular. They certainly fooled me. But no more. I turn out the candles directly after dinner. And I do not drop any wax on the tablecloth which is another blessing in my life. I learn something every day.

No comments: