Sunday, December 8, 2019

December 8, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. A Christmas Carol.

The New Stage Theatre has produced The Christmas Carol for 25 years. This afternoon Kashina and I attended. I enjoyed the production although many parts of the play was new to me, even though I have seen it numerous times. It was adapted my Michael Wilson and I suspect that Charles Dickens would be hard pressed to recognize it. For instance, Christmas carols were sung throughout the whole production. And there was dancing. The whole thing was charming and enjoyable. The basic story is the same, but embellished. The show took 2 full hours. When you watch it on TV it takes an hour so all kinds of things were added. Everything works out the same way and Merry Christmas was shouted from the roof tops. The New Stage Theatre is a professional group in Jackson. Their actors are a talented bunch and I applaud them for their efforts. This is only the second play I have seen at the theatre but I intend to return. I can only attend in the afternoon. Even then, Kashina prefers to leave at 3 on Sundays so even that makes life difficult. Today we left before any applause. Even then we got home at 4:30 which makes it a close call for her next appointment. I am not sure if she enjoyed the performance. She had not seen the play before and sometimes it was difficult to figure out what was happening. But I enjoyed it and I appreciated the new look on an old play. Watching a ghost story of Christmas is always a treat.

No comments: