Thursday, February 27, 2020

February 27, 2020. Playa Royale, Mexico. Italian Ladies.

Rosa sits at the same palapa every day. When I go to the pool I sit with Rosa too because last year after Ken died she invited me to join her under her palapa. All the other Italian ladies sit with Rosa too. Because I am sitting with Rosa, the new ladies do not know I am not Italian so I listen to their conversations which are half English and half Italian. This afternoon was a perfect example. I was sitting talking to Rosa when one by one, four Italian ladies came by to join in the conversation. One of the ladies has an ill mother in law who lives in Italy. She started to talk about the food she eats in the home of her mother in law that she can not eat anywhere in the world. The ladies joined in. It was very funny. Then they talked about the food their grandchildren will not eat. One by one they were laughing about the food they have eaten all their lives but they can not serve to their grandchildren. They all thought it was a hoot and described how they disguise the food to trick the children. The topic of dishes came up. Rosa said that her father wanted dinner served on the best china every evening. And they used serving dished on the table and multiple plates throughout the meal. But Rosa laughed that her children and grandchildren will not hear of it. They want the kitchen dished for every meal. The other ladies all agreed. And no one wants the beautiful dishes. The ladies think it is a big joke and the conversation was hilarious. I enjoyed every minute.

No comments: