Saturday, August 22, 2020

August 22, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. My Reading Lamp.

Last week, the light bulb in my reading lamo burned out in my bedroom. I was unable to remove the shade and the bulb so I waited for Anna. We bought the lamp in 1999 and the bulb has never meeded replacing. Anna discovered that the bulb was a 200 amp bulb which had a large socket. The lamp shade just sits on top of the glass cover. Once the shade was beige but now it was light brown. The lamp was ugly when we boiught it and was still ugly now but we stopped looking at it because the lamp gave great light. At the hardware store, Anna discovered that no bulbs such our bulb are available but she got an adaptor and a new bulb to fit it. Now I am back in business. When Anna removed the shade, she suggested that I did not need the shade at all. In fact, she thought the lamp would look better by itself. So I removed it and immediately wondered why the lampshade was still attached because the lamp no longer looks quite so ugly. Half way down the stand is a cone that provides more light. In fact, when the bulb burned out I used the little cone of light to read. Now the only part of the lamp is that brassy cone. The rest of the lamp looks quite elegent, all by removing an old lamp shade. Once again I ask myself "Why didn't I remove that shade years ago?" Thank heavens for Anna. She is sprucing me up.

No comments: