Monday, August 31, 2020

August 31, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Essays and Short Stories.

This old book, Essays and Short Stories, edited by E.F.Kingston was on a table beside Ken's chair in his woprkshop. He had a recler chair which he used often. On both sides of the chair were tables with stacks of books. This old blue book was at the top of one pile. Anna and I brought all his books back to the house. Some were put on shelves over the desk in the office and the rest were placed on the shelves outside our bedroom. Except the one old book. I like short stories so I thought I would enjoy reading some of the stories. Inside the book is a bookmark from Wells Books and Antiques, a wonderful store in Liverpool so I assumed the book came from that store. I put the vbook beside my table but did not open it...ubntil this summer. Much to my surprise I discovered that Ken's name, in his hand writing was on the first page along with the year, 1951, grade 11. It turned out to be a book for matriculartion classes. I have no idea how that book ended up in Ken's workshop. I started to peruse the book and discovered that it is divided into three sectiomns. The teacher could selecxt whatever section the teacher wished. There are notes for each short piece at the back of the book. As I had not used a text book for many years, I decided to start at the beginning and keep on going. The book was published in 1950 so no modern writers are in the book. I also decided that if I do not like the style or content I would just skip to the next piece. So that is what I am doing. So far I have read pieces by Virginia Woolf, Thomas Hardy, Aldouis Huxley and Thomas Raddall. Plus Santanyana. I am plowimng ahead, enjoying a book Ken studied from high school. And I am learning somethings. Thomas Raddall is a Liverpool man. The library was named after him. Ken has a collection of his many books, which are on the top shelf in the office. Ken had read them all but I have read none. But the short story in this book is excellent, which surprised me. I am enjoying this book. The whole thing comes as such a surprise to find that book in the workshop. It is another one of Ken's surprises.

No comments: